Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Where are those demos? i'd like to take a peek to them...

Edit:

I have no words. this is really what i wanted to see in a game, My only wish now is that they did FFVII for PS3, (and if it is not asking too much, also FFVIII [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) but overall, if that's PS3 true capability, it is indeed impressive. I won't believe ever the sony hype machine, but this is a true demonstration of power.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ May 19, 2005 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Melfice ]</font>

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can find it at www.gametrailers.com. Ive posted a direct link somewhere in the above posts though.

Personally, i dont want a remake. I'd much rather play the game with all the blocky characters and just expect a brand new game from Square Enix.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To tell the truth, Final Fantasy VII wasn't at all all the great it could have been, and i think a remake of it would put it in the place it'd deserve. Is a great game, only it wasn't advanced enough.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think your right in a way. It'd also be a similar case with games like Xenogears, where the ideas were quite clearly there, but the developers couldnt execute them well enough with the technology avilable (or perhaps the budget, in such a case). Equally, they could take advantage of such an oppurtunity to add some additional plot areas, such as an extension to the ending, or even more sidequests. To fully justify the remake, they could also include a seperate "Bonus" function, much like in the FFIV-VI remakes on Playstation, featuring the ability to replay the games cut-scenes at any time, or viewing enemy, weapons or character details, among many other options.

However, in argument, with FFVII they could go right ahead and improve the graphical and aural quality of the product, and make all these additions for next year, but i feel that part of its original charm was in the fact it pushed the ideology of gaming to an extent that nobody had seen in its time. Thats why FFVII has some of the most aggressively passionate fanboys in all gaming (much to the irritation of their neighbours). I think that if it was to be remade, nobody would really end up the better, asides from Square Enix and their annual turn-over. The aforementioned fanatics of the original just wouldnt get the same thrill and throw a hissing fit, and those who hadnt played the original version wouldnt understand what all the fuss was about.

Ultimately, while it may seem like a good idea in theory, it just wouldnt be pushing the company to unchartered limits. As an old classic glamorized by the wonders of modern technology, gamers would still have seen it all before, if not in the original version, then in the countless RPG's that borrowed ideas from it since. Its very much the same case with the original Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid, which both featured as well-made remakes for the GC, yet failed to make the same impact as they did originally. Naturally, theres a market for a remake, and im sure Square Enix would be more than ready to cash in on the appeal, however it wont fulfill us as avid RPG players in the way that a brand new title would. Their budget would be better spent on something completely new.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I understand... though i think it would have the same charm as perhaps the new remasterizations of the star wars films, besides, they'd add more sidequests, new weapons, new WEAPONS, more stuff regarding the other FF games... (perhaps an item or a materia to break over 9999 HP, more limits...) of course, but i think they should not sell it as a new game at all, but as a remasterization of an old classic, i think they'd get a great deal like that, don't sell it like a new game at all, because it is not like that, perhaps the cutscenes could have more angles, a free camera or the like... In one word, EXTRAS, but keep the original feeling of the Final Fantasy VII game intact.

that'd be great. IMO.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think remaking games is good, as long as you're adding more than useless picture collections and stuff. Everything needs to be noticeably improved in some way.

In the case of Xenogears, I think they could make a good remake of it for the current or next generations, provided they at least:

- Add at least the first two stages of disc 2 - the ones they had partly done and you see a couple screenshots of but never get to play.
    - Fix Chu-chu and other things in the story that feel out of place. In case of doubt, leave them as they are though.
    - Remake ALL of the graphics, doing all of them so you can move the camera freely, and, of course, have a new graphics engine supporting all sorts of special effects.
    - Remaster the introduction anime and redo the other cut-scenes with the same style and quality, all in high-resolution. Do more cut-scenes as anime.
    - Keep the music but have an orchestra perform most of it, and redo the rest but the songs.
    - Add voices to all important cut-scenes.
    - Add and redo sound effects.
    - Improve the combat system making accumulating combos useful and combos having to be performed with correct timing otherwise you fail them.
    - Improve the navigation system so you can move the camera freely.
    - Improve minigames somehow, add a couple gags, etc.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As i mentioned before in the Xeno topic: Xenogears has always been a title crying for a remake, unlike the more polished works of Final Fantasy. The 10/10 review scores it so enthusiastically received back in 1998 were more based around what the fans imagined it could have been than what it actually was. I think all the improvements you mentioned there make example of a game which would truly deserve that 10/10 score. I wonder if MonolithSoft will ever deliver that kind of perfection for the PS3; and more importantly, i wonder if Takahashi-san will see things from the fans point of view at last.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ May 22, 2005 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Cataferal ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've read plenty of E3 reviews that say the thing is way big than xbox 1! =P

Also Hardware in-depth comparaison of PS3's weak system bandwith! =P

http://www.majornelson.com/2005/05/2...3-part-1-of-4/

part 2-4 are on the right side.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't recommend bothering with these comparisons, because:

1. I don't trust sony's data
    2. I don't trust microsoft's data
    3. I don't trust the way they are compared - they're rarely done by a knowledgeable, cunning, resourceful geek (like for example the the guys at www.tomshardware.com), but an end user who thinks his/her sound card's megahertz are being stolen by green walking viruses that enter their intarweb as they browse the CNN web sight, who forward them via their USB port to John Kerry so he may win the next election. (Note: I don't know about that one you linked, it might be a geek, or a luser.)

and most importantly,

4. For the first time, hardware is ahead of what you can dream of. Developers won't have enough time, resources, and inventiveness to do more than these machines can take in any decent way. For the first time, and thanks heavens, it's 99% up to games. Even if one of the three systems is twice as powerful as the other two, we won't appreciate the difference, regardless of what the press says.

I'll wait till I have the games in my hands. Like Watto would say, "I'm a platform-whore geek, press tricks don't work on me. Only games. No quality games, no buying new systems, no sales!". [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know about that one you linked, it might be a geek, or a luser
    <font size="2" face="Verdana,sans-serif">Hardware developer. =P

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast